Barbecue Squash Steak
Serves 3-4, 30 minutes or less, 1 spoon
View the blog post about this recipe here.
1 large or 2-3 small yellow summer squash (could sub zucchini)
1 bunch asparagus
1 red pepper
3 tablespoons Olive Oil (more if needed)
Pinch of Pepper
1/2 teaspoon Chili Powder
1/2 teaspoon Cumin
1 cup Quinoa
1. Start cooking your quinoa according to directions on package.
2. Heat barbeque or grill to medium.
3. Cut squash lengthwise in 1/4 or 1/2 inch slices. If they are smaller, you can just cut in half lengthwise. Put aside.
4. Break ends off asparagus.
5. Chop red pepper into 4 large pieces.
6. In a large bowl place the asparagus and red pepper along with at least two tablespoons of olive oil (more depending on the amount of veggies) and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
7. Place slices of summer squash on a cutting board or plate. Drizzle both sides with at least 1 tablespoon of olive oil (more if you need it) and sprinkle each side with chilli powder, cumin, salt and pepper.
8. The veggies will cook at different times. You can put them all on together and just take them off when they are cooked. Or start with the squash, then in 1 minute add the red peppers and then in 4 minutes add the asparagus and they should be close to ready at the same time depending on the size. Squash will need 5 minutes on each side, red pepper will take 4 – 5 minutes on each side and the asparagus should take 1 – 2 minutes on each side or until desired tenderness is reached (can check with a fork).
9. Serve the veggies over a plate of quinoa with some of your favourite BBQ sauce on the side for the squash. It is a steak after all! 😉
Please let me know if you try this recipe! Send any feedback you have on how long it took (if it really is a 1 spoon recipe) and if you found it easy to follow. I don’t often measure when I cook, so it is a new challenge to write recipes and would appreciate any suggestions. Reach out to me by email email@example.com or on Facebook.