I have been talking about sharing this recipe for a while now and the time is finally here!
I have to fully credit Kayla at The Aspiring Something for turning me onto this meal as it is now one of my favourite things to cook. When I was staying at her house this summer, she cooked for me based on this recipe ! For more online recipe ideas, go check out this post
You can also add ground turkey or chickpeas to this meal for more protein and it’s pretty delicious. You can also use rice if that is what you have at the house!
Serves 4, 30 minutes to 1 hour, 2 spoons
1 cup quinoa
1 can black beans, or 1/2 cup dried beans (see here for a good canned to dry bean conversion)
1 red pepper (or whatever co is cheapest)
6 slices pickled jalapeno (more if you like it spicy!)
2 cups frozen corn or 1 15 ounce can
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoon chili powder
Salt & pepper to taste
1 cup shredded cheese (optional- I usually make it without but it does add flavour)
- If using dried beans, cook them first (see directions here)
If using canned beans, open and rinse beans thoroughly under cold water.
- Cook quinoa as per directions on package
3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
4. Chop red pepper and jalapeno slices
5. Combine quinoa, black beans, red pepper, jalapeno, corn, spices and cheese in a baking dish (you may want to grease the sheet for easy clean up, but I typically don’t bother.
6. Bake covered in the oven for 20 minutes or until red peppers are tender
You can serve this alone and it’s delicious, or with salsa, avocado dressing, inside a wrap, or with a fried egg on top (Kayla‘s brilliant idea). If there are leftovers you can eat it for a while by preparing it in various ways.
Let me know if you try this recipe, I’d love to hear your feedback. Was it easy to follow? Do you agree that it is a 2 spoon recipe? Let me know! You can e-mail me at email@example.com or find me on Facebook!