If you’re anything like me, you are always looking for new ways to use up leftovers so that food doesn’t go to waste. There’s nothing I hate more than having to throw away food that’s spoiled in the fridge, so I make a genuine effort to have “leftover days.” Sometimes I will make a stir-fry, or a weird veggie-filled pasta, but my favourite is fried rice.
For this recipe, you can use any combination of leftover meat, rice, and veggies to clean out the fridge or freezer. When I last made this I used up some chicken, cabbage, red peppers, and zucchini. For a more traditional version, use frozen corn, peas or carrots.
Here is how I make “Empty the Fridge Fried Rice”:
Cook your rice according to package directions. Heat a frying pan or wok to medium heat, add oil and allow it to heat up. Add garlic and onion and cook until translucent.
Add in vegetables and cook until soft.
Add pre-cooked protein to the pan (if it’s raw meat, add in before veggies), allow to heat. Then, dig a well in the rice mixture and crack the egg into the centre.
Stir egg until cooked and then mix it into the rest of the pan.
Stir in cooked rice, allow to heat.
Stir in soy sauce, sesame oil and any other sauces you like.
30 minutes or less, 1 spoon, 2-3 servings
-Cooked rice (any variety, 1/2 cup uncooked, could also use quinoa)
-2 tablespoon oil
-3 garlic cloves
-1 small onion
-1 cup leftover cooked meat (optional: cooked tofu or your favourite nut)
-3 cups thinly sliced vegetables (your choice, whatever is in the fridge or freezer)
-3 tablespoons soy sauce (or to your taste)
-1 tablespoon sesame oil
-Optional: sriracha or hoisin sauce
- Cook your rice according to package directions.
- Heat a frying pan or wok to medium heat.
- Put oil in the pan and allow it to heat up.
- Add garlic and onion and cook until translucent.*
- Add in vegetables and cook until soft.
- Add pre-cooked protein to the pan, allow to heat (if it’s raw meat, add in before veggies*)
- Dig a well in the rice mixture and crack the egg into the centre.
- Stir egg until cooked and then mix it into the rest of the pan.
- Stir in cooked rice, allow to heat.
- Add soy sauce, sesame oil and any other sauces you like.
Let me know if you try this recipe and what combinations you used! I would appreciate any feedback you have. Reach out to me by email email@example.com or on Facebook.