Making cupcakes for my friends’ birthdays is one of my favourite gifts to give. There’s something about putting effort into food for someone to enjoy that makes me really happy. Today I wanted to share my tried and true recipe for chocolate cake. It gives you 24 light, rich and chocolatey cupcakes or 2 round cake pans (8 inch). Hopefully, you can use this easy recipe to make someone’s day!
World’s Best Chocolate Cake
2 spoon, 45 minutes, 1 cake or 24 cupcakes
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup oil
- 1 cup hot coffee
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325 F
- Sift dry ingredients together
- Add oil, coffee, milk
- Mix on medium 2 mins
- Add eggs & vanilla
- Beat 2 more mins
- Bake for 20 – 25 mins
You can also make these gluten-free with a cup for cup substitute GF flour. They aren’t as light but still really delicious.
You can go many ways for the icing depending on what you’re feeling like! I will show you two of my favourites, raspberry and peanut butter.
Raspberry Icing (From Chef Savvy)
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- ½ cup softened butter
- 2 cups icing sugar
- Milk (if needed)
- Add the raspberries to a food processor and blend until thick.
- Pour sauce through a sieve and set seeds aside.
- Cream butter for 2 – 3 minutes with a hand mixer or a stand mixer.
- Add the icing sugar and raspberry sauce and mix well.
- If the frosting is too runny add more powdered sugar or if it is too thick add some milk and mix.
- Add icing to cupcakes or on each layer of the cake.
- Top with a raspberry.
Peanut Butter Icing (From All Recipes)
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- Beat butter and peanut butter into a medium bowl.
- Gradually mix in the icing sugar, and when it starts to get thick add in milk one tablespoon at a time.
- Beat for 3 minutes or until it’s fluffy.
- Spread on cupcakes or on each layer of a cake.
Please let me know if you try this recipe, I’d love to hear your feedback!]. You can e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org or find me on Facebook!
All photos by Laine Young