This summer my best friend Kayla and I travelled to New York to eat everything in sight. One of our adventures was to take a food tour in Greenwich Village. I would highly recommend this pay-what-you-wish tour to anyone that’s on a budget and wants to taste some of NYC’s most indulgent delicacies. In fact, this was my second time taking this exact tour because I wanted to share the experience with my bff.
It is entirely vegetarian and you pay a dollar or two for each sample. The tour includes amazing falafel, tiny bagels featured on Shark Tank, rice balls, cupcakes, and two kinds of pizza. The highlight of the tour is a stop at a place called Artichoke Basille’s Pizza. You get to sample their cheesy, rich signature dish aptly named, artichoke pizza.
Ever since we got home, we’ve craved this pizza. So, when I came to visit Kayla this Christmas to meet her new baby, we decided to try and make it. We did some internet sleuthing and discovered that the sauce has over 25 ingredients and takes 8 hours to make, so we improvised. We found a much easier recipe from the Two Bite Club and gave it a try. We made a few tweaks to the recipe based on our available ingredients and general level of “give a shit”. It turned out to be quite delicious even though it wasn’t really close to the original. This would be an excellent appetizer for NYE and is not too much of a challenge to make!
Spinach & Artichoke Pizza
2 spoon, 45 minutes, 1 saucy pizza or 2 less saucy ones
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup butter
- 2 tbsp cream cheese (we left this out and just added a bit more parm)
- ¾ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp garlic powder (we used fresh garlic, 2 cloves)
- 1½ cups mozzarella cheese (we used about half of a ball of fresh mozza cut in dollar size pieces instead of shredding)
- 3 or 4 handfuls of fresh spinach
- 1 can of artichoke hearts
- 1 tube of prepared pizza crust (2 if you’re making 2 pizzas) or make your own dough with this recipe
- Preheat oven to 425° for home made dough or follow directions on prepared crust
- Over low heat, in a pot stir together cream, butter, and cream cheese (if you use it) until melted.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese and garlic powder (or fresh garlic). Continue to cook and stir for 15 minutes (keep a good eye on the sauce so it doesn’t burn)
- Saute spinach in a pan with a tablespoon or two of water over medium heat and saute until the spinach wilts
- Then place spinach on a paper towel and wring out all of the liquid by twisting the towel with the spinach inside. Once you’ve squeezed out all of the liquid, add it to the sauce.
- Spread the sauce over the pizza crust. If you make only one pizza, you might have some left over for dipping depending on how saucy you like your pizza.
- Place chopped artichoke pieces over sauce then top with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until you start to see the cheese browning. I recommend broiling it for a few minutes before taking it out to let the cheese get nice and crispy. Let sit 5 minutes before slicing or you’ll have a giant mess on your hands.
Thanks so much to the Two Bite Club for this recipe. I hope you enjoy our slight modifications.
Beckett definitely approves!
Please let me know if you try this recipe, I’d love to hear your feedback! You can e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org or find me on Facebook!
All photos by Laine Young